Chateau is a unique jewel in the South of France.
Founded 400 years ago by a Lord, using funds gifted to him for his service in war by King Louis XIII, today its modern-day guardians pay homage to its heritage and offer their passion and respect to its founding families, by preserving their coats of arms, cherishing each past century and generation and ensuring that every guest is made to feel like a king.
This has always been athis property residence and guests today will be treated with befitting care and attention by its friendly and highly skilled team who are devoted to their guests and their guests’ enjoyment. If guests wish, an exceptional chef is on hand for delicious meals, as are a host of extra services such as a charming host-butler, bar-stocking and shopping service, pampering massage and beauty treatments, baby-sitting and much more.
The château has been beautifully restored to a high standard and decorated with classical French and English furniture dating from 700 years ago to today and elements from across the world, old and new. Every well-appointed bedroom has a modern en-suite bathroom and comfortable beds dressed in the finest Egyptian cotton. There is also a fabulous, well-equipped kitchen, elegant dining for fourteen both indoors and outdoors, a Grand Salon with ancient blazons, impressive fire places, a music room with perfectly tuned Ibach baby grand piano and a fun, well-stocked games room complete with minstrels’ gallery.
Four-hundred-year-old, one metre thick castle walls keep it fresh in summer and warm in winter and the large array of windows keep it beautifully light, whilst framing glimpses of the original towers and two romantic pigeonniers, as well as the charming gardens, fields and surrounding woods which are perfect for walking and exploring.
Guests will enjoy stunning views of the rolling hills of the Gers to the Pyrenées and of prairies and woods where wild boar, deer and hare roam free. Delightful walks can also be enjoyed on the château grounds, which offer an abundance of delights including the park, potager, vineyard, orchard, wild flowers, Lebanese cedars, duck-pond, ducks and beehives.
Honey, jam, herbs and fruit are produced at the château or by local friends, whilst Samatan nearby, will provide endless supplies of their world-renowned duck and foie gras. As well as being the duck and foie gras capital of the world, Samatan is also home to one of France’s most famous markets.
This is The Gers, the heart of Gascony, Musketeers, foie gras and Grand Armagnac country. This is the real France where guests can immerse themselves in authentic, fortified villages, market towns, plenty of traditional local events and some of the best food and wine in the world.
Châteauthis property provides the perfect, tranquil retreat for relaxing and unwinding, with the option of enjoying top quality food, wine and service and as much or as little to do as desired, whilst staying in a historic residence full of warmth, character and charm.
Good news! For a little extra, this property is available as a Vill’otel
Yey! Wait… what is that?
It’s the perfect combo of the privacy of your own personal villa, with all the luxury and convenience of a hotel. What’s included?
Breakfast, cleaning, welcome drinks and hamper, plus more! Check the Extras tab for all the details.
If you are looking for calm, nature and authenticity, chateau is the place to be. Nestled in the very heart of the Gascony, a truly authentic area in the South West of France, famous for its beautiful rural landscapes and fine cuisine. Its territory stretches from the departments of the Gers, the Landes and the Hautes Pyrénées.
The Gers in particular is often referred to as the 'Tuscany of France': rolling hills dotted with gorgeous fortified villages and market towns. It is also the birthplace of the musketeers and it is said that D'Artagnan spent two nights in the castle!
The local town of Samatan is renowned for its foie gras and for the very famous unmissable market that takes place every Monday morning. If you have a taste for Armagnac, there are plenty of opportunities to visit local producers and guided tours as well as tastings can be arranged.
There is also an abundance of popular places to visit nearby: Auch, Sarrant and Carbonne are just a few examples.
Weddings and special events for up to 120 guests can all be organized at chateau.
Wedding planning, catering, marquee hire and other services are all available.
There is plenty of additional accommodation nearby and transport is available locally.
Please note that any event rental may be subject to additional charges, venue hire fees and to a higher security deposit, which will be in addition to any published rental rates and fees. Please contact for further details.
All events are on request only and subject to prior agreement from the owner, who reserves the right to refuse all events without their prior authorisation.
- Grand Salon with large working open fireplace, sumptuous sofas, glass coffee table and books/magazines. There is also a desk with printer and extensive tourist information and an adjacent bar with beer pump, fridge and ice-maker.
- Grand entrance hall with grand staircase and bronze sculptures
- Fully equipped kitchen with broad dining table for 12
- Music room with various instruments, aquarium, 50 inch Sky TV, Xbox 360, large working fireplace
- Games room with ping-pong table, toys, games and well-stocked bookshelves, working fireplace, and minstrels’ gallery with a small day double bed for extra guests. This room is connected to bedroom 7.
- W.C. and washbasin
- Utility Room
- Linen and laundry room (accessible to staff only but can be used by guests by arrangement)
- Stockroom/professional kitchen (accessible to staff only)
- Spacious landing with seating for two with views of the orchards and Pyrenées
- Master Bedroom ('Muskeeter') with solid oak four-poster bed, sofa, bureau, twin chairs with views of the park, two wardrobes, en-suite bathroom with double tub, walk-in shower with additional hand shower, basin and W.C. Plenty of space for up to two additional beds.
- Bedroom 2 ('Pyrenées') with king size/twin bed, sofa, wardrobe, chest of drawers, en-suite large walk-in shower with additional hand shower, basin and W.C. Space for an additional bed. Views of the orchard and Pyrenées.
- Bedroom 3 ('Oak') with double bed, hanging cupboard, chest of drawers, en-suite walk-in shower with additional hand shower, wash basin and WC. Space for an additional bed.
- Bedroom 4 ('Tower') Tower castle-style suite with vestibule and passageway, one king size bed, one single bed up a spiral wooden staircase (steep), wardrobe, chest of drawers, en-suite shower room with additional hand shower, basin and W.C.
- Bedroom 5 ('Lavender') with double bed, wardrobe, chest of drawers, en-suite walk-in shower with additional hand shower, basin and W.C. Space for an additional bed.
- Bedroom 6 ('Sunflower') with twin beds, wardrobe, en-suite bath/shower, wash basin and W.C. Space for an additional bed. The bathroom can be accessed from the landing, or be locked if required making it ideal for a family.
- Bedroom 7 ('The Secret Bedroom') with double bed, wardrobe, chest of drawers, large en-suite shower room with walk-in shower, double tub, wash basin and W.C. Please note this room is low-beamed (6ft plus) and connected to the Minstrels’ gallery in the games room.
- 18 hectares (43 acres) of grounds comprising of ornamental park, sunken ‘moat’ garden with ornamental bridge, vegetable garden, open-barn, vineyard, orchard with fruit and nut trees, beehives and woodlands with trails
- Private heated swimming pool with Roman steps, diving end, lockable fence and wave alarm system (size: 12m x 6m/depth: 0.8m - 2.4m). Heated via heat exchange pump to min. 21° (temperature appropriate to the season, average 27°-28° in summer).
Open from end of April to end of October, subject to weather.
- Poolside terrace and shaded area with eight sunloungers
- Dining areas
- Oil drum barbecue
- Large gravel terrace and courtyard with a granite outdoor dining table for 10-12
- Shaded informal teak table on teak deck for 8-10
- Duck pond
- Two grand and historic pigeonniers
- Ancient oaks and seven Lebanese cedars, planted 400 years ago
- Rear lawn with an old ice store turned into a charming, modest fountain
- Two private outbuildings, a barn and the cowshed, used to run the estate (no access)
- Views over the beautiful rolling Gers countryside and the distant Pyrénées mountains
- Satellite based Wi-Fi throughout
- Grand piano, guitar, drum, whistle, harmonica and other instruments
- Children’s toys and games
- 50 Inch Sky TV (standard channels, kids and documentaries)
- Xbox 360 with games
- Sonos music system throughout downstairs
- 12ft Jumpking trampoline with safety nets
- Assorted bikes
Security deposit: £1800 charged to clients' credit card prior to arrival and refunded in full subject to post-departure inspection.
Arrival time: 4.00 p.m.
Departure time: 10.00 a.m.
Energy costs included?: Yes.
Heating costs included?: Extra £50/day on request. Logs for the fire are also available for an extra £70/m3.
Linen & towels included?: Yes, including bathrobes and pool towels.
Changeover day: Saturday, other days are possible on request.
Minimum stay: 7 nights from June to end of September. 3 nights during all other periods.
Pool heating charge?: The pool is heated free of charge to min 21° (usually 27°/28° in summer).
Pets welcome?: On request only, subject to prior arrangement with the owner
End of stay cleaning included?: Yes. Plus daily maid service (up to three hours per day)
Smoking Allowed?: Outside only.
Other Ts and Cs: Stag/hen parties and other celebrations are on request only and subject to prior arrangement with the owner.
Other Ts and Cs: Advertised prices are for up to 15 guests only. Additional guests can be accommodated on extra beds at an additional cost of £40 per person, per day, payable directly to the owner.
Other Ts and Cs: The pool is open from end of April to end of October, subject to weather conditions.
Maid Service Included